We’ve all done it– end of summer, you’re sitting on the beach for the afternoon, enjoying a few drinks and good food, and then before you know it…you’re sunburned. That telltale shade of red is your skin putting you on notice that it’s damaged. While we can’t stress prevention enough, we know that sometimes mistakes happen, and it’s what you do afterwards that can make a difference. Your body’s defenses are working desperately to repair the skin, but you can give your skin a helping hand with a few natural ingredients to speed up the recovery process.
Help a dermis out–keep your skincare routine extra gentle while skin heals. Try a moisturizing cream or gel containing one or more of these rejuvenating ingredients for sunburn relief and to prevent premature signs of aging due to excess sun exposure:
- Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract – You’ve heard this one before, but did you know that it’s the plant’s vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and amino acids that make this a classic sunburn relief ingredient? Aloe is amazing at protecting skin from further drying (which helps prevent peeling) while soothing and cooling the burn.
- Vitamin A – This is one of the most effective ingredients to treat your freshly sun-damaged skin. It helps to restore your pigmentation while fighting the development of wrinkles and preserving healthy skin texture.
- Licorice – While we’d love to think of you walking around rubbing Twizzlers on your face, that’s not quite what we’re talking about. The root from the licorice plant can help soothe irritated skin and regulate its pH levels-–important for retaining moisture and preventing peeling.
- Shea Butter – This vegetable-based oil packs a heavy dose of Vitamin E and Carotene, making it soothing, hydrating, and protective against UV rays and further sun damage.
- Natural Oils – Natural oils–including olive fruit oil, rosehip oil, and sunflower seed oil– contain moisturizing and cooling properties. They are also high in vitamins A and E and fatty acids that will help nourish, heal and soothe your damaged skin.
- Cucumber – This simple veggie acts as an all-natural anti-inflammatory and offers relief from the painful effects of excessive sun exposure. Cucumber contains Vitamin C and caffeic acid, two antioxidants that can help prevent wrinkles and sun damage.
Our Go –To Sunburn Solutions:
Buckler’s Daily Face Repair: An all-natural, lightweight, vegan moisturizer, specifically designed for sunburnt and irritated skin. The formula is made with certified organic fair trade aloe, shea butter, rosehip oil and olive fruit oil, and it’s perfect for those with sensitive skin.
Herbivore Botanicals Hydrating Face Oil: We like this all-natural oil blend as a night treatment. It intensely rehydrates skin but won’t clog pores. Pure jojoba, argan, rosehip and vitamin E help lock in moisture so your nose doesn’t end up flaking.
Urth Skin Solutions for Men Hydra Therapy:Use this gel face mask to cool and calm skin while stopping wrinkles from appearing. It’s loaded with vitamins A, B5, C, D and E which fight signs of aging and restore skin to a healthy, youthful appearance.
Pro Tip: Uneven tone, redness, permanently enlarged pores, and early wrinkles are all potential outcomes of excessive sun exposure. Always use sun protection when you’re outdoors, even for a short walk to the mailbox.